Saturday, January 16, 2010

A beautiful movie

So, yes Kathy, we saw Avatar :) You must see it in the theater - it is stunning. Was it one of the 'great ones', I wouldn't say so, but it was the most visually beautiful movie I have ever seen. It did grab me - I wanted to touch what they could touch. The 3D was way cool.

The one part that I really liked had to do with a language barrier between two groups of people in the movie. The word "see" had a different definition than it does in English. In fact, in English, there really is no equivalent. It reminds me of Father Pepin in high school telling me that there are many biblical definitions for the word "love". Each one meant something different and, in English, there were no equivalents so the different definitions of the word "love" were hard for us to comprehend. It's interesting to think about if we had such words and what they would mean for us. What if people really could "see" each other? What if there was different words for "love" that people reserved for certain things - if I could "love" the movie Elf in a different way that I "love" Mike?

Anyhow, it was a good movie. Go see it in 3D while you can.

1 comment: